For this year’s conference I undertook a project with Keith Helfrich to harvest tweets tagged with #data16. We collected the tweets regularly throughout the week, and updated a view of high level summaries and detailed network visualizations. This post details some of the highs and lows that we came across, and provides access to the workbook so you can do your own analysis and review as well. Please also be sure to check out Keith’s post on the same subject here.Read More
Pink is for girls and blue is for boys. How pervasive is this association?
This viz updates live to reflect the crowd voted winning color palette choice. Tha's right, this is a live updating Tableau Public viz that uses data from a Google Sheet without needing a web connector!!!! Thanks to some Allan Walker glitter (which is always black).Read More
As I embarked on this journey a while back, I had some goals when it came to what I was looking to build. These are summarized in the below bullets.
- Visualize Twitter network growth in detail using some form of network graph
- Needed the network graph for each year to be comparable to one another
- Interactivity against the network graphs was a must
- Provide a way for the user to view the actual tweets
- Once Keith and I decided to run parallel with our efforts, we wanted to way to “jump” from one view to the other.
The sections below detail out how I went about trying to achieve each of these goals. Don’t ask me why I gave myself so many of them.Read More